The simple look of this egg was because WWI had begun. The gold shell is covered in opalescent white enamel, and then decorated with a translucent red enamel cross on each side. In the middle of the two crosses are miniature portraits of the Grand Duchesses Olga and Tatiana, dressed in their Red Cross uniforms.
The cross with Tatiana's portrait serves as a clasp, that opens the egg up vertically to reveal the surprise - a triptych. The center scene is depicting "The Harrowing of Hell" - the Orthodox representation of the Resurrection.
On the left wing is Saint Olga - the founder of Christianity in Russia - depicted, with the crown monogram of Tsarina Alexandra inscribed on the door.
The right wing holds a picture of the martyr Saint Tatiana, and the year "1915" inscribed on the door.
The "Red Cross with Triptych Egg" can now be seen at the Cleveland Museum of Art in Ohio, USA.