Friday, June 07, 2013

Fabergé Friday

This Friday's Fabergé object is a marvelous little bonbonnière in the shape of a sea shell, created around 1890!




The bonbonnière is carved from smokey topaz. The hinged gold lid is enameled opaque dark blue, and decorated with gold foliate scrolls. Around the lid's edge runs a border of rose-cut diamonds, and the thumbpiece is a cabochon ruby, flanked by two rose diamonds.




The box is 2.8 inches (7.2 centimeters), and has been modeled on 18th century gold mounted shell boxes, that Fabergé probably saw during his studies and visits to the Hermitage.




Chief workmaster during the creation of this lovely little thing was Mikhail Perkhin, and, besides myself, I think I have quite a few readers who wouldn't mind being the owner of it...



3 comments:

  1. I love this little shell Miss Meadows, one of the strangest yet most alluring pieces I've seen from Faberge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...that is most precious!! I love it...I indeed wouldn't mind owning this :))) It's wonderful, I would be afraid someone might break it though and then I'd have to get all ninja on someone and that wouldn't be good ;) But, I do adore it :)))) Happy Friday my darling girl, I hope you have a gorgeous day Xxx <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I definitely wouldn't mind being owner of it;) I wonder why nowadays people do not create such beauty. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete

Hyper Smash